Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Giving Tree





The Giving Tree is a one of the classic children's books that I always assumed I have read at some point, especially because I love Shel Silverstien's poetry and his illustrations. Today as I was doing my readings for class I decided to revisit the book for my own enjoyment and I realized I have never read it before. I sat down in the Starbucks at Barnes and Nobles and read The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstien for the first time and cried.

The Giving Tree is a story of friendship between a boy and a tree. The tree loves the boy so much and loves playing with the boy. The boy spends all of his time with the tree and loves the tree back. As the boy grows up he appreciates the tree less and less and the tree gives the boy everything it has to make the boy happy, but the boy takes everything the tree has to offer and is still not happy. At the end of the story the little boy has grown into an old man and the tree is only a stump. The tree apologizes that she no longer has anything to give to the boy, but the boy realizes all he needs is a comfortable place to sit and the tree stump is the perfect place, so the tree and the boy are happy together again.

As I think about the story I have a hard time putting into words what about it made me tear up. When I think about it the story seems really simple, but the love the tree has for the boy is really tangible while you are reading the story. The book is a story of unconditional love. The tree is there for the boy and always will be, there is nothing the boy can do to change that. The tree was not alway happy, but the tree never stopped loving the boy. I think this really touches people because in our inner most hearts everyone wants to be loved like this whether it is by a parent, God, a spouse, a pet, or a best friend.   


One way to incorporate The Giving Tree into library activities is to have a Shel Silverstein day. This could even be on his birthday, September 25, if the timing worked out for your specific library. Children could be encouraged to model a poem or a short story after Silverstein's work including The Giving Tree, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and others. The children would illustrate what they wrote with a fun drawing like the line drawings that Silverstein does! 

PROFESSIONAL REVIEW FROM THE SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL TOP 100 PICTURE BOOKS

. . . . this book should be mandatory reading for all parents, kids, and politicians. – Simone
Silverstein, S. (1964). The giving tree . New York: Harper & Row. 

No comments:

Post a Comment